This post contains affiliate links; I will make a commission at no extra cost to you, should you click through and make a purchase. Read my disclosure for more info.
Want to know how to make money on Pinterest?
I’m not ashamed to admit that I started blogging because I wanted to make money.
And since I’ve started I’ve realised making money blogging is pretty tough.
However, using Pinterest is a great way to make money online.
And you can do it with or without a blog!
In this post I’m going to tell you:
- Exactly how to make money using Pinterest (there are more ways than one!).
- How much you can be earning (it’s more than you think).
HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST: How much can you make?
Before I even tell you how you’ll probably want a rough idea of how much you can actually make, to see if it’s worth your time. (Hint: it is).
The truth is there isn’t really a maximum amount you can make.
It is limitless.
But if you’re looking for a more accurate figure to aspire to…
Dale from Blogging Her Way currently makes around $500 per month simply pinning images on Pinterest.
No blog needed to make this – just a free Pinterest account.
Even better is she created an ebook teaching you exactly how she does it- Get paid to Pin.
Here’s an extract from her blog:
(You can read more about her ebook in this post.)
That’s just the start of it.
I myself now make over $2,200 every month from my Pinterest side hustle.
(You can read more about that in my August blogging income report where I earned $2,500 here).
But I have no doubt that you could make even more than what I make using Pinterest!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE YOU CONSIDER MAKING MONEY ON PINTEREST
Now you know that you can make money on Pinterest, you’ll probably want to get started straight away.
But what you absolutely need to do before you start trying to make money from Pinterest is learn how to use Pinterest properly.
Because you’re not going to make much money if you’re not reaching many people!
I know that’s probably frustrating to hear, as it can take ages to learn…
And I understand, because it took me months (maybe years…) to figure it all out.
But now I reach over 2 million people on Pinterest every month:
And I’ve put my best tips into a free course which will teach you everything you need to become a Pinterest pro.
I’ve called it Easy Pinterest with Emily, as it’ll show you how to master Pinterest easily!
It contains information you won’t find anywhere else (seriously, I couldn’t find any posts on what plugins to use to get a “pin it” button on my blog!) and will help you up your Pinterest game massively.
You can find out more about it here.
Or, just sign up below to get started now!
HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST: THE DIFFERENT METHODS
Once you really know the secrets to using Pinterest, you can start to make money with it!
And what’s the secret?
Not sure what it is?
Affiliate marketing works like this:
- You find a product you like to use.
- You sign up to an affiliate programme for this product.
- A unique affiliate link is given to you.
- You share your link (in this case on Pinterest).
- Someone uses your link to buy this product.
- You make an affiliate sale (AKA money!)
It works for both you and the person who creates the product, because you make money and they make sales.
You get paid as like a ‘thank you’ for helping them get customers.
It’s easy because there’s so little work involved.
You promote your link, someone clicks your link, you get paid.
Now you can see why it’s so important to make sure lots of people are seeing your pins.
Because the more people who see your pins and use your affiliate links, the more money you make.
(If you need more help getting your pins seen by more people, check out how I got my first viral pin (130,000 impressions) here!)
There are 2 ways to make money through affiliate marketing on Pinterest:
METHOD 1: LINK TO A PRODUCT
Yep, this one doesn’t even require you to have a blog!
You can literally just upload an image and have it link straight to a product using your affiliate link.
Then whenever somebody purchases via that link, you get money.
There are more details to it and legalities to consider.
Which is why I recommend investing in a course that specifies in affiliate marketing.
If you’re solely looking to learn about affiliate marketing on Pinterest (with or without a blog) and for an inexpensive option I recommend Get Paid to Pin.
METHOD 2: LINK TO A BLOG POST THAT HAS AN AFFILIATE LINK
This method takes longer, but can be more effective.
That’s because including a link in a blog post allows you to establish trust with the reader, making them more willing to purchase.
Remember, some affiliate programmes are for products that are hundreds of pounds.
People will want to know more about a product before they spend hundreds on it!
And a blog post is the perfect way to give them that security.
(I personally tend to make more affiliate sales using this method too).
So if you’re reading this and want to start your own blog, check out my ultimate how to start a blog guide (it’s over 4000 words long and will have your blog up and running in under an hour!).
What if you already have a blog, but you’re new to affiliate marketing?
If you want to know the complete ins and outs, then you should considering investing in Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
The creator (Michelle from Making Sense of Cents) makes over $50,000 per month from affiliate marketing, and has put her best strategies into an online course.
It is the online course that I recommend for affiliate marketing if you are a beginner, as it starts at the basics before covering really important stuff like staying legal.
And after taking Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing:
- I made my first affiliate sale as a new blogger with under 3,000 page views a month
- To date I’ve made over $3,000 ($3292.58 to be exact – yes I went through all my blogging income reports and added all my affiliate income earnings up!)
So if you want to master affiliate marketing on your blog ready for when you start getting traffic from Pinterest, you should take a look at Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST WITH YOUR OWN PRODUCTS
So what if you don’t really think affiliate marketing is your thing?
Perhaps you don’t really want to be working for someone else, selling their products for them.
Maybe you want to be your own boss? (That’s part of the reason I started blogging!).
Well, you can make money on Pinterest doing that too-
METHOD 3: LINK TO YOUR PRODUCTS ON ETSY, EBAY, ETC
Do you make your own products?
If so, you can easily pin photographs of your products and link directly to a sales website so people can buy it.
The best part about this is that you don’t even need your own blog or website for it.
You can sell your crafts on etsy, or link to Ebay…
There are plenty of websites you can list your products on, and share for an easy way to make money on Pinterest.
METHOD 4: LINK STRAIGHT TO A SHOP PAGE ON YOUR WEBSITE
Again, you can cut out the middle man to make even more money.
Although they’re easier to use, websites like Etsy do take money from you for using their website.
They do this either through selling fees, listing fees, or other ways.
So if you list your products on your own website or blog, you can make even more money.
Pin images of your products from your shop page, and people can buy the products they see on Pinterest directly from you. And you can make money!
HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST WITHOUT PROMOTING PRODUCTS
Okay so maybe you don’t want to promote products to make money, regardless of who owns them.
You might be wondering if you can still make money using Pinterest.
Well, luckily you can!
And some of these methods might make you even more money.
METHOD 5: LINK STRAIGHT TO A COURSE
If the audience you’ve grown on Pinterest is unlikely to buy objects, think outside the box.
Perhaps there is a course they’d love that they’d be willing to try.
You can actually pin images that talk about the course, and link straight to that course.
- I share a pin saying “how this blogger makes $50,000 per month”.
- I use my affiliate link as the link for the pin, which goes straight to the landing page for Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
- People who want to make money will be interested.
- They will then be taken to a sales page for a course hat will teach them how to make money online!
METHOD 6: LINK TO YOUR BLOG POST DISCUSSING THE COURSE
The same principle applies to promoting products as it does for promoting services.
People want to be sure before they buy, and a blog post can help that.
You can fully discuss the course and give people a more accurate idea of what it’s like, which you couldn’t achieve just through pinning it straight to Pinterest.
- Say most of your Pinterest followers are interested in weight loss.
- Use Pinterest to get them to your post.
- Tell them all about this weight loss course you took which helped you lose 15 lbs and all the essential details (even the bad parts of the course- it helps to establish trust).
- Then they can use the affiliate link to buy that course, as they want to loose that much weight too.
- You make money!
METHOD 7: LINK TO YOUR OWN COURSE!
Stop earning for other people and start earning for you!
No matter what your Pinterest audience is interested in, you can probably make a course for it.
Whether it’s a crocheting course that promises to show beginners how to become advanced.
Or a step by step for getting into shape ready for summer.
Or teaching you ways to save money.
As long as you have information that’s valuable, people will pay for it.
Although it does help to link to your blog first, you don’t actually need a blog for this.
You can just link straight to the platform your course is on!
Hint: If you have your own course, product or service, you can also have an affiliate programme for it.
Then you can share pins that lead to other blog posts discussing your product/ course/ service.
It’ll make them money through affiliate marketing when someone reads the success they’ve had after they took your course, or how much they loved the cute pillow, and makes a purchase.
But it’ll make you even more- you just made another sale!
METHOD 8: LINK TO A SERVICE, A BLOG POST DISCUSSING A SERVICE OR YOUR OWN SERVICE
All the ideas I just shared with you can also be applied to promoting a service.
You can share pins stating the results of the service e.g “I got 20 new clients in a month after this one website tweak”.
Then link straight to a web design service.
Or to a blog post discussing the ins and outs of the service.
You can even link straight to your own service.
Providing a service is a great way to make money online, and Pinterest is the platform that can get you clients.
No matter what your interests are, you can probably offer a service online, and Pinterest will help you.
This is how I make over $2,200 a month from Pinterest – I offer monthly Pinterest management to help bloggers and business owners get traffic to their sites!
HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST: OTHER METHODS
So if there weren’t enough ways listed to make money on Pinterest, I’m going to give you 2 more ideas!
Unfortunately you do need a blog for these, but you can make loads of money through them.
METHOD 9: LINK TO YOUR SUBSCRIBERS PAGE ON YOUR BLOG
If you’re a blogger and you haven’t heard the phrase “the money’s in the list”, I’d be surprised.
But what does it even mean?
Basically, if you want to make money, get an email list going.
For example, if you are a crochet blogger:
- Pin images to Pinterest like “10 FREE CROCHET PATTERNS” that lead to a sign up page for free crochet patterns
- Get people to sign up for 10 free crochet patterns
- Now, you have their email. You can send them helpful emails all about crocheting, including some with affiliate links, or products of yours they might want to buy.
METHOD 10: USE PAID ADVERTISEMENTS ON YOUR BLOG
This one is even easier- you just need to make sure your pins are good enough that people want to click through to your website.
The more people who click through the more people will visit your blog and see your adverts… and the more money you make!
- You can share pins from specific posts with more adverts in.
- Then whenever someone clicks through to your post, you make money.
Just make sure that your pins are good enough and get lots of people wanting to click through!
You can find out how to get more people to click through to your blog on Pinterest here.
SUM UP OF HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON PINTEREST
Let’s recap on exactly how to make money on Pinterest:
- Sign up for Easy Pinterest with Emily so you can get my Pinterest secrets and start reaching more people on Pinterest now.
Once you are rocking Pinterest, you can start monetizing your account.
- Make money on Pinterest through affiliate marketing. You can promote straight to a product, course or service, or link to a blog post containing more information on that product/ course/ service.
- You can make more money by promoting your own products, courses and services. Share product images that link straight to Etsy or Ebay, or have a shop page on your blog. The pins can direct people to a landing page of your course, or a service you provide. You can also share other people’s pins discussing their success of your course/ service or how much they loved your product, to make even more sales for you.
- You can use Pinterest to gain more traffic to you blog and make you more money. Either through getting more page views and making money through paid advertisements, or sharing pins that lead to a subscribers page, then emailing your list to make money.
I really hope you enjoyed this post, and now fully understand all the different ways how to make money on Pinterest.
It really is a lot simpler than people might think.
If this post has helped you, please share it!
Now, get pinning!
Or check out these other posts you might like: